Unicorns are big everywhere from Harlow Jade to Hamburg
Posted on June 01 2018
If your little girl loves unicorns, she is in very good company! It seems the mythical beasts are making an appearance wherever smiles are needed, delighting children and grownups alike from one end of the globe to the other.
In May 2018, The Atlantic reported that unicorns were appearing in Europe in startling numbers.
“Sometime in 2016, as Germany was reeling from disagreements over migration, politics, and national identity, the country received a magical visitor,” they reported. The mythical creatures have been spotted on cereal boxes, in restaurants and on the Berlin subway, among scores of other places “By last summer, it seemed as much a part of the German landscape as bratwurst.”
According to The Atlantic, “In Silicon Valley, unicorn famously signifies a particularly valuable start-up. Germany’s unicorn craze seems to evoke something more basic. In a country that prides itself on its orderliness and rationality, the fanciful creature represents a means of escape.”
“The unicorn promises harmony and friendship,” Peter Wippermann, a trend researcher who has now become something of a unicorn explainer, told the magazine. “It’s a sign of optimism and hope.”
In a report on Summer 2018 fashion trends, Vogue Italia proclaims that unicorns and My Little Pony are on trend for not so little girls this year. They credit Margot Robbie, who made a red carpet appearance in an Alexander McQueen gown sporting a stylish gold sequin unicorn, with inspiring the trend a couple of years back.
Fortunately, you don’t have to go to the ends of the earth to satisfy your daughter’s desire for unicorns. Despite the creature’s reputation for rarity, you’ll find an abundance of unicorns at Me & Kay – from hats and hairclips to sweatshirts and dresses.
- Submarine Swim’s Unicorn Zip Up is our most popular one-piece swimsuit. And, with its herd of golden unicorns prancing across pink and blue panels, it’s no wonder!
- This season, Lola & The Boys features a Unicorn Sequin Bomber Jacket. This top-seller combines the trendy creatures with this summer’s must-have metallics for an irresistible look that we just can’t get enough of.
- With Terez kids leggings, the name says it all: Never Enough Unicorn Leggings.
- A smiling unicorn is the icing on the cake of Tutu du Monde’s Gracie Tutu Dress, a summer confection in stretch jersey cotton, with a light cotton layer under the tulle skirt.
- Shade Critters will let your daughter – or granddaughter – tell the world exactly how she feels with a Tie Dye Scoop Swimsuit, sun-shielding Rash Guard and Travel Pouch that all proudly proclaim “I Believe in Unicorns.”
- Your daughter can dive right into summer with our Fringe Unicorn Patch Two Piece Bikini from PilyQ.
If your daughter isn’t the only one in the house with a passion for unicorns, don’t worry. Vogue Italia says the lovely creatures will bring a “magic and lighthearted vibe” to summer fashions.
To understand the underpinnings of this particular fashion trend, they say we must look back to the 1980s and ‘90s. “Thirtysomenthings will definitely recall watching the winged unicorn coming out of the ‘dream mirrors’ in Sailor Moon the cartoon,” they say. “Now young women, probably with a degree and a job, [they] feel a little nostalgic about that time and choose those magical, colorful little horses to cheer up on gray days.”
In other words, there is something truly magical about unicorns! They make ideal companions for a carefree childhood and, when your little girl is all grown up, unicorns will have the power to transport her back to that very special time and place.